Saturday, April 21, 2012

Tomatoes, Basil & Mozerella


We have been having beautiful warm weather these days in Southern California, and today was no exception~ hot & sunny without a cloud in the sky. 
Jesse Ryder and I had an action packed day; Grayson's baseball game in the morning, after that it was off to Armstrong, then home for Ryder's nap and lunch with my Dad and sister. After lunch the weather cooled down a bit, so my little man and I decided to head out for an afternoon of fun at the local farm. After a hay ride, a pony train, checking out the animal show and playing in the sand I picked up my produce for the next couple days. 
Lo and I try to buy all produce at farmer's markets or the farm. We've made it our mission to find the best quality and prices and enjoy discovering new farmer's markets and farmstands. 

Once Ry and I were home and Jesse came in from working outside, we both decided that we were still full from lunch and simply too hot for a full dinner so we had a meal of light appetizers {my kind of meal!}. My beautiful cherry tomatoes were beckoning me so I made up a light tomato & basil salad, reminiscent of a caprese with a balsamic vinegar & brown sugar reduction as a dressing. I made a small plate just for me {J had olive tapenade, he's not a fan of tomatoes and Ry had mac and cheese}. The dressing made the salad and it was de~licious, think I'll make it for the fam tomorrow!

Tomato, Basil & Mozerella with a Balsamic Vinegar~ Brown Sugar Reduction
This salad is so simple and easy, some of this~ some of that. So I haven't included any real measurements..
 Ingredients
- cherry tomatoes, quartered {or halved, whatever suits your fancy}
- fresh "mini" mozerella pearls
- fresh basil leaves {think I used about 5 for this plate}
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup freshly packed brown sugar
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1.) Heat the brown sugar and balsamic vinegar over medium~high heat until it reduces by at least half {approx. 3~4 minutes}. Remove from the heat and let cool before serving.
2.) Chop your basil {to preserve maximum amounts of flavor stack your leaves and roll, starting from the stem and working towards the leaf. Slice your role with a sharp knife}
3.) Assemble your salad and drizzle with some of the balsamic vinegar~brown sugar reduction, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.

enjoy!
B

No comments:

Post a Comment