Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Italian Comfort Food~ Chicken Parmesan

We've had beautiful weather here in Southern California, but last night the rain clouds rolled in. I have to admit, I find it a but refreshing~ one last cozy storm before we officially hit Springtime. Ryder and I were out and about all day yesterday, walking, playing at the park and cruising the mall. I got home and wanted a cozy meal to welcome our final storm.
 I poured a glass of red, turned on some Baby Mozart mood music and enjoyed cooking, cleaning as I went so I could relax and enjoy a leisurely long meal with my boys. 
As I sipped my wine, rinsing my food processor, stirring my sauce and singing "wheels on the bus" to my babe I saw the foreboding storm clouds roll in through my kitchen window. 
Pure bliss I tell ya.
 Chicken Parmesan
Ingredients
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs {make your own or use Italian~ seasoned}
- 2 eggs, beaten
- olive oil for the pan
- tomato sauce {see recipe below}
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 1 cup {give or take some more} mozzarella cheese
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
1.) slice chicken breasts in half, and place between two sheets of parchment paper. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound the breasts thin. {this is a must~ have step for me when making chicken, otherwise the chicken can taste too game~y for me}
2.) Assemble a "dipping station" for your chicken breasts. Dip each breast in egg white, and then bread crumbs
3.) heat olive oil in a non~stock skillet. Cook each breast approx. 3~4 minutes on each side.
4.) Assemble breasts on a casserole pan or baking dish. Pour the tomato sauce generously over the breasts, and then top with a heaping of mozzarella cheese. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese bubbles.
5.) serve over pasta {I served it on a big mound of linguine}, or with a side of polenta and top with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. yum!

Quick and Easy Tomato Sauce
Ingredients
- 1 28 ounce can plum tomatoes, broken up with their juices in a food processor.
- 1/2 onion ~finely~ chopped
- at least 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano

Directions
1.) Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the finely chopped onions {with as much of their juices as possible}. Cook 2~3 minutes
2.) Add the garlic and cook until just fragrant.
2.) Add the oregano and stir to combine. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes.
3.) Add fresh basil and stir to combine. {skip this step if you are preparing your sauce to freeze}

Enjoy!
B


No comments:

Post a Comment