Saturday, April 7, 2012

Simple Easter Decorating

We've been so busy these last couple weeks, I really hadn't done any real Easter decorating. I wasn't planning on doing much, especially since we don't  entertain on Easter. Meema {my mother in law, and Lorin's mother Anna} hosts a wonderful Easter egg hunt and brunch every year. However, we decided to host a little pre~Easter luncheon at our house for my Dad, Cathie and sisters the Saturday before Easter so I decided to set an Easter table. 
This really didn't take much.... about one naptime {2 hours or so}. 

I started by creating little place settings for everyone. Ryder is still a bit young to participate in egg dying, but this is a super simple project, and a great way to get the kiddos involved. 


Ryder and I headed to the park and collected some branches and twigs {he found most of them}! Here's some of what we came home with {the fabric scissors were not found at the park} :

I tore the branches into the appropriate sizes to create a cross, and cut some ribbon about this size. You can use twine too, I liked the look of the satin-y ribbon against the rugged twigs:

I simply wrapped the ribbon around to hold the cross in place. 
I added the following sales tags and wrote different scripture related to Easter on each one


In the end, I prefer the cross sans tag to use on each plate, but I'll use them with the tags to give out on Easter


I also added "Happy Easter" to my burlap banner. I went a bit banner crazy for Ryder's birthday party, and I keep one still hung over the mirror in the dining room. I found some foam craft letters at Joann's, they were about $4.99 for a pack containing multiples of each letter. They're brightly colored, but I simply paint the letters appropriate to the holiday and use them on the banner. There was white for Happy Birthday, pink for Be My Valentine, I painted them off-white for Happy Easter
I also managed to get paint all over my brand new jeans, I was in a hurry to get everything done so I didn't bother to change. Serves me right for rushing through a project! {thankfully it was acrylic paint so I scrubbed it with a sponge and warm water and it came right out} 


Here's how they looked before:
 and after:


the letters have a self-adhesive back so it works like a charm! 


I added some moss balls and a bird's nest, complete with feathers and some Spanish moss to a vintage dough bowl as a centerpiece:





In the end I decided to use lavender instead. What can I say? I'm a sucker for lavender.

Here's the completed table:


I wrote out this quote by Martin Luther on our chalkboard above my workspace in the kitchen, You can find a beautiful printable of this here, from Dear Lillie.

There you have it, pretty simple Next year my Little Man and I will get creative with painted eggs, 
Have a wonderful Easter!
B

No comments:

Post a Comment