Monday, July 16, 2012

Highlights from last week's dinners & fun foodie pics

Now that my sick days are easing up a bit, I can finally start to have some consistency in our weekly meal planning. It still doesn't always flow as planned~ I definitely had some days where i was feeling under the weather. There was breakfast for dinner one night and the go~to pasta with garlic another {not planned}, but overall I did pretty well. 
One thing I have learned that certainly helps me with my meal planning is shopping a couple times throughout the week for produce items, instead of buying all necessary ingredients in the beginning of the week. If I decide to change my mind or don't get to cooking as certain meal, I haven't wasted any food. Although it's not always convenient to shop frequently throughout the week, I find it does save me a ton of $$ and reduces the amount of spoilage and wasted food. We are very lucky to have a local farm with attractions for kids, as well as farmer's markets almost every day of the week in our area, so shopping can be a fun experience and a bit of an adventure. "Staple" items like pasta, meats, rice, etc. I tend to keep on hand and stock up on at Costco or whenever there is a special at the market, and I look for meals when searching for new recipes that center around the staple items I usually have.

~Yummy produce at the farmer's market~
~Anyway~
 I wanted to share 3 fabulous recipes I tried last week, each one was a smash success and I'll definitely be making them again! I found all of them on skinnytaste.com , love that website! A while back a friend had introduced me to it, and these days it's where I find most of my recipes. Now she's all over Pinterest! Check them out, you won't be dissapointed {click each recipe title to be directed to the recipe}

being as though these weren't my recipes I didn't bother taking fancy pics with my camera, all of these I took on Instagram {my new obsession}

I served the shrimp over the cilantro lime rice because J is a HUGE cilantro nut. It may be a bit too much cilantro for some, but we loved it! I served it with two ripe avocados on the side~ sliced and drizzled with lime juice, s&p.


 My changes: I used cherry heirloom tomatoes, pulsed lightly in the food processor and I used linguine instead of angel hair

I served it with a light caprese salad {really the salad was for me, I was dreaming of it all day!} ~ farm fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella bought at the farmer's market and basil from our garden, drizzled with olive oil, s&p. so yummy! 

{I'm on a bit of a zucchini kick since they are in season and everywhere!!} 

 ~Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats~
 be sure to use BIG zucchinis! As you can see, my stuffing is clearly exploding out of my zucchinis! My changes: I used my quick and easy tomato sauce instead of the one Gina uses. 



more random foodie pics...

Have a fabulous week!
xoxo,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment