Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Vintage Green Bathing Suit and Antique Yellow Fire Hydrant...

My mom is my inspiration.  She has taught me the love for tradition and the importance of it in my life.

Growing up, my mom had a green one piece bathing suit. I never saw her wear it because it was set aside in a special trunk and brought out for each of my birthdays.  A picture was taken with me in the green, criss-cross back bathing suit each year from age one to age thirteen. Nana (my mom's mom) had seen the idea in a Time magazine years before I was born and suggested to my mom that she do this if she ever had a daughter.  The original plan that my mom had was for me to pose in this suit each year until my 18th birthday. But as stubborn teenagers go...I began to refuse to get into the bathing suit and pose for pictures.  At times calling it "embarrassing." Thirteen was awkward and I cannot blame my teenage self for that, but I will admit it is one of the very few regrets I have...wishing I had done it for mom.  Knowing now how much it meant to her, as I experience the love I have for my own children. Giving her the gift of rewinding time and watching me grow from a toddler to a young woman. 

When I had Grayson 7 years ago, I knew I wanted to do something similar.  I chose to have him stand next to a 1940's fire hydrant that sits in my parents yard.  Each year in August, he proudly stands next to the yellow fire hydrant, and every year, I cry.  My boy is growing up...


Grayson: One Year Old



Grayson: Two Years Old



Grayson: Three Years Old



Grayson: Four Years Old


Grayson: Five Years Old



Grayson: Six Years Old


Grayson:  7 years old


The green bathing suit has been passed down to me and my daughter, Emerson Beatrice.  Each year in May, she proudly poses in her Meema's green bathing suit, and every year, I cry. My girl is growing up...

Emerson B: One Year Old



Emerson B: Two Years Old



Emerson B: Three Years Old



It is never too late to start a new tradition or put your own style on an old tradition...

Until we meet again...
Lo















2 comments:

  1. Love this! Looking at how much they grow each year makes me want to cry! :)
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ass looks so fucking good

    ReplyDelete