Saturday, July 7, 2012

Baked Cinnamon French Toast...

Growing up, my mom made french toast for my brother and me.  It was always delicious and tasted of warm cinnamon.  I make this dish for Grayson often, because he loves anything cinnamon.  I created this recipe for the days that I didn't want to stand at the stove and flip. It has become a special treat in our house and one that I'd like to share...

I love that you can plan ahead and make this the night before or you can whip it up in the morning. It is not overly sweet and the perfect compliment to berries. I have made it for large groups, baby showers, breakfast for dinner, brunch, or even as a bread pudding for dessert with a steaming cup of coffee.



Here's what you need...

8 cups Italian or French bread cut in 1 inch cubes (I use a fresh loaf from the market)
3 1/4 cups milk
5 eggs 
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 pure maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla 
2 TBSP melted butter 
Cinnamon sugar for shaking
*optional choices to add before baking are...raisins, blueberries, bananas, sauteed apples, pecans...etc., etc., etc.

Cube bread and set aside.  In a large bowl combine all ingredients (except bread) and whisk well.  Add cubed bread and mix until all is coated with the wet mixture.  Grease 13x9 pan and add bread mixture.  Push down bread a bit to make sure it is moist and covered.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake in a preheated 350 oven for approximately 40-45 minutes.  It should puff up in the oven and smell delicious!  When its done, remove from oven and drizzle 2 TBSP of melted butter on top (oh my) and a touch of maple syrup...put back in the oven for 5 minutes.  

It is warm, cinnamon-y, comforting and a perfect easy bake for all occasions!

Until we meet again...
Lorin







No comments:

Post a Comment