Thursday, June 28, 2012

Collard Greens & Red Lentils

Hi friends! I'm sorry my promise of blogging more often hasn't followed through, I feel like I have so many posts I wanted to share {including a ton of items I need to list in our shop} but by the time I'm done straightening around the house at naptime, it's already time for Ryder to wake up! Phew! 
I wanted to quickly share this yummy dinner I made the other night, unfortunately I had been feeling to sick the past couple days to look at the picture and post the recipe! 
When I was pregnant with my son Ryder, I couldn't stand the look, smell or thought of eating meat. However, protein is crucial during pregnancy and I was blessed to be working with a group of ladies who introduced me to the world of Middle Eastern and Indian  cooking, especially meals concentrated around lentils, a fab source of protein. The spices and herbs in Middle Eastern dishes are so different than the Italian or Spanish dishes I usually make, and almost refreshing yet savory~ something my stomach can definitely handle. 
Now that I am expecting baby #2, I'm leaning towards these dishes again. This particular dish was inspired by a Whole Foods recipe. Both boys gobbled it up and it was wonderfully pre~chopped and ready for my little man! Serve it with some Tandori Naan or pitas on the side or to create a wrap {per Jesse's request}.

~Collard Greens & Red Lentils~

Ingredients
-1 medium onion, chopped
-2~4 cloves garlic, chopped {I used 2, still a little uneasy with garlic}
-2 teaspoons garam masala {"mixed spices" a blend of Indian spices, a staple in Indian cooking. I found mine at a Middle Eastern market, but you should be able to find it down any ethnic foods aisle at a good market}
-15 ounces cherry tomatoes lightly pulsed in the food processor
-1 bunch collard greens, thick stems removed and leaves chopped into 1 inch think chunks 
-1 cup red lentils {no need to soak}
-Naan or pita, slightly warmed in the oven for the table

Directions
1.) Bring 1/2 cup water to a simmer in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes or until onion is translucent and garlic is just fragrant.
2.) Stir in garam masala and cook 1 minute {Indian cooking often calls for you to "toast" your spices briefly this way}
3.) Add tomatoes and their juices directly from the food processor with 1 cup water and bring to a boil. 
4.) Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in collards. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
5.) Combine lentils and 2 cups water in a medium pot and bring to a boil. 
6.) Reduce heat to a simmer and cook about 8 minutes or until lentils are tender. 
7.) Stir lentils into skillet with collards and serve.
enjoy!
xoxo
B

No comments:

Post a Comment