Monday, August 20, 2012

One day at a time...


"One day at a time...this is enough.  Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it is not yet come.  Live in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering..." 
~Ida Scott Taylor



Here we are, facing the last full week of summer here at the Paul home and I...am...sad!  I have had a great time with both of my kids all summer long having no concrete plans, just wakin' up and deciding what the adventure would be for the day. 
So as school approaches quickly, I thought I should get a head start on organizing our time.  We juggle 4 schedules each day, and each day I feel a bit overwhelmed with trying to remember who is doing what and where. 
I headed out in search for a large enough calendar to fit our life. I had a vision in my mind of what I wanted the calendar to look like and soon after my search began, I realized that the only way I'd have what I really needed would be to make it myself.  I found this desk top pad of paper at the office supply store, brought it home and started measuring out a box a day.  I used a black pen to mark off the boxes and a gray sharpie for the months, weeks and dates.






The top strip of the pad of paper was black.  I decided to cover the black with natural brown paper. Then I knotted some twine through the holes in the top to hang it on the wall in my kitchen.  






When I was finished, I painted a piece of salvaged barn wood to go above the calendar.  It reads:
'One day at a time...'




The calendar hangs above Emerson's kitchen hutch. I bought 4 different colored fine point sharpies for each person so that visually, I could tell where everyone was on any given day of the month.  I used a vintage aluminum measuring cup to hold the pens.  

One day at a time...

These 5 little words made a difference in our family the moment I hung this sign above the calendar and today, we live it, each day.

Until we meet again, 
Lo









No comments:

Post a Comment