Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Spontaneous Craft...


I had a very spontaneous day last Monday.  I woke up with the littles, made breakfast for both, packed Grayson's lunch, took him to school and when I returned I started the breakfast dishes (which I have to admit...doesn't always happen right after I get home from drop off) That is where things turned a corner.  It went from seeing that the cabinet above my head was a bit spotty which lead me to scrubbing it down...to removing all the items on my counters and giving them a disinfectant wipe down...to noticing out of the corner of my eye the spaghetti sauce splatters on the baseboards of my kitchen floor from the spoon that flipped out of my hand a few days before. Truth be told...it has been a looooonnnnggg time since I've wiped down the baseboards in my home...sheesh.  I went from baseboards to grout to behind the stove and so on and so forth without ever completing one task. From the floor I could see the stack of  "I don't know what to do with these papers, so I think I'll stack them on the hutch, between the vintage roosters and candle holders" calling my name so I stood up and started moving stuff around in very unorganized organization.  In doing so I found 3 vintage glass furniture coasters that I picked up at the swap meet... 


Back in the day, these little glass furniture coasters were used at the base of the legs of furniture to protect floors and rugs from scratches and dents.  Growing up my mom had a photo glued to the bottom of one and had it sitting on our coffee table in the living room.  So they have earned a space in my heart and every time I see them, I feel magnetic to them.  These dish-like chunky glass pieces can be there for you as it was for me...a simple decorative piece, or it can be as useful as holding your most special rings as you roll out dough for an apple pie.
Back to my spontaneity...when I came across them I got an overwhelming feeling of creative energy surging through me and before I knew it, I was cutting and Modge-Podging...
I picked up a stack of vintage cookbook pages and began looking for ideas.  At some point, I had planned on making one for my dear friend Mia for her very belated birthday. I found this page and it was absolutely perfect.  She is the Queen...


I cut out a circle, Modge Podged it on and then added a piece of natural colored felt to the bottom and Modge Podged that. I think it turned out so adorable. She has it next to her kitchen sink to hold her Silpada rings.




After I finished "The Queen's" gift, I decided to make one for my sweet friend, Carolena, that recently moved into an adorable cottage. I wanted to put together a small basket of goodies including one of these.  Lena loves to cook and it is one of our favorite things to do when we get together.  We share our love for pasta...so this seemed perfect!  When I gave it to her she smiled with such happiness because she has always wondered if her ring would go spiraling down the drain when she took it off and set it down next to the sink. Now she has a place to put it and gets to think of me at the same time...winner.



Then I looked at the last one. It was a bit scratched up on the inside which shows how much it was used so many years ago. Right up my alley :) So, I found a picture of a wagon wheel that kind of hid the scratches and now I have a sweet little dish of my own...


So there you have it!  I got completely side-tracked and in doing so finished a project that I had been meaning to do.  I do believe that creative energy comes when the time is right.  It cannot be pushed or planned...it may come when you're scrubbing the floor and my advice is to go with it!

Until we meet again...
Lo



No comments:

Post a Comment