Sunday, May 6, 2012

I love a rainy night...and day...and Chicken Pot Pies




A few weeks ago we had the most amazing rain-y, thunder-y, lightning-y day.  It is rare that we get these kinds of days, and when we do, B and I always talk about what warm, comforting dinner we're planning for our families.  I went through a few of my favorite recipes and looked at some new ones but decided to go with my rainy day special~Chicken Pot Pies.  It is a super simple, non-complicated recipe that is just right for a cold, rainy, night. The weather is a little cookoo here in Southern California right now, but our  evenings are still cool and I have been known to open my slider and windows downstairs,  bundle up in cozies and cook like its winter.  I can't help it, there is something about a cold night that makes my heart smile...



I start with:


Crust...
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold butter, cut in small pieces
cold water (about 1/2 cup)


I start with the crust first so that it has a chance to rest.  Grab a large bowl and add the flour, salt, and baking powder.  Mix together with your fingers to make sure it is well combined.  Next add the cut up cold butter into the flour mixture and use your fingers again to break up the butter into pea sized pieces.  Then add cold water slowly just until the dough comes together.  When you can shape it into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap and place in the fridge until you are ready for it...


Filling...
2 TBSP olive oil
1 1/2 cup chopped onion (white or red)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
6 cloves minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt free seasoning (I use the 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe's)
5 TBSP flour mixed with 1 TBSP melted butter and 2 TBSP olive oil (mix together to form a paste, may add chicken stock or water to thin out with no lumps)
4 cups low sodium chicken stock (1 carton)
1 lb. chicken breast tenders
salt and pepper to taste


In a large saute pot over medium-low heat, add olive oil, onions, celery, and carrots and saute for 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.  Add garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.  Stir in flour, butter, olive oil mixture and stir around until it is incorporated into the veggies.  This will thicken the filling.  Add chicken stock.  I use a whisk in this step to be sure the flour is not lumping in the stock.  Turn up heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  During this time you will see how thick it has become.  I like my pot pies to be thick like a stew so at this stage, I determine if I want it thicker.  If I do, I add a TBSP of flour mixed with chicken stock or water to the stock until I find the right consistency.  When you find your thickness...take the pot off the heat and let cool.  Now its time for the chicken...


I use a pound of skinless chicken breast tenders.  After rinsing the chicken out of the package with cold water, I blot dry, put them on a baking sheet and add a few drizzles of olive oil, salt and pepper.  I toss the chicken right on the pan and put them in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.  The chicken may not be done all the way,  but thats okay since it will cook in the oven in the pot pies.  When the chicken is done, I remove it from the pan, chop or shred, and add to the pot pie filling.    


Now you can fill your ramekins.  This will make 6 medium size pot pies.  After they are filled, take out the dough and place it on a well floured board.  Roll out the dough and cut out to fit the ramikin size...I use the bottom of the ramekins to determine size and I tuck it down inside the dish, right on top of the filling. I love the way the filling bubbles over the top a bit as it cooks...before I put them in the oven (I place them all on one baking sheet to prevent overflow in the oven) I drizzle a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper...


Bake...cool...enjoy!!!


Until we meet again...
Lorin



No comments:

Post a Comment