Friday, March 30, 2012

Nothing says "home" like pizza...

I can't think of a better way to start my blogging debut than with a recipe...a simple, hot, bubbly, crisp, Margarita Pizza. I was out all day with Bianca picking up treasures from the past and when I finally made it home, I had no clue what I was going to make for dinner.  I hadn't "prepared" anything and didn't have a ton of time.  I had a fresh ball of pizza dough from Trader Joe's that I had picked up the day before, fresh tomatoes from the farm, fresh mozzarella cheese, garlic, spinach and fresh basil.  The Margarita Pizza is one of my all time favorite pizzas not only because of the freshness of the taste, its the smell and also the visual beauty of the fresh mozzarella melted in between the big slices of fresh tomatoes...heaven!  

I start out with...

2 cloves garlic
3 vine ripened tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese 
1 cup fresh baby spinach
3 large leaves fresh basil
3 TBSP parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 ball fresh pizza dough
olive oil

I usually use the Trader Joe's fresh pizza dough or if I have a chance, I will go to the local Italian market and pick one up there. Pre-heat oven to 425. Take dough out of the plastic wrap and let rest on a well floured board for 20 minutes.  This is important for the dough to rest and warm up a bit.  While its resting, I chop my garlic, slice my tomatoes, chop my cheese, and chop my spinach. I tear up 3 basil leaves and set aside. I also prepare a baking sheet with a little drizzled olive oil so that the bottom of the pizza gets nice and crisp. When the dough is ready to work with, sprinkle some flour on top and press it down around the edges to flatten it into a circle.  I use my hands to work it larger and larger...picking it up and letting the dough do the work, stretching it around in a circle. Be careful not to stretch it too much that it gets too thin in spots.  You can also use a rolling pin if you like.  I prefer using my hands and getting that true handmade look. Place the stretched dough evenly on the greased pan.  Drizzle about 2 TBSP olive oil on the top of the dough...I don't have a fancy brush so I use a spoon to spread the olive oil around. It doesn't have to be perfect, just enough for flavor. Start placing your tomatoes around, fresh garlic, mozzarella cheese and spinach.  Sprinkle a pinch of salt, fresh ground pepper to taste and 3 TBSP parmesan cheese around your  pizza and place in the oven! 


 Bake about 10-15 minutes...give or take a few, since all ovens bake differently. It should be bubbly and lightly browned around the crust and underneath...


While its still pipin' hot, add your torn basil leaves.  If you can, wait at least 5 minutes to cut using a pizza cutter or my favorite kitchen utensil...kitchen scissors. 

For me and my family, this meal brings the tradition of our Italian relatives together with the stories of the day...

Until we meet again...

Lorin


No comments:

Post a Comment